Have you ever wanted to control your lights remotely, or brew coffee with your smartphone while lying on the couch? Do you like your coffee to have the same amount of milk and sugar every day? Or do you want to activate your washing machine while working in your office? You can find all these features in a smart home. Some people forget to switch the lights off or turn the heat down before leaving the house. These people are likely to be interested in living in a smart home. Smart homes are one of the most important technological advances in 2020. In this guide, we’ll explain the definition of smart home and some of its advantages.
What Is a Smart Home?
The term “smart home” is used to describe an ecosystem which allows you to control different home appliances remotely. For instance, you can manage your home security system, cameras, air conditioners, thermostats, etc. while you’re away. All these appliances are connected to a common system. This way, you can control them with your smartphone. As you know, smart homes can make your life easier by saving you time and energy. That’s why, they’re becoming the center of attention.
4 Benefits of a Smart Home
Now that you’re familiar with the concept of smart homes, it’s time to find out the advantages of home automation. Nowadays, smart homes are becoming more and more popular. Here, we’ll mention some of these advantages.
1. Saving Energy
One of the biggest advantages of smart homes is reducing energy consumption. Actually, the main purpose of creating a smart home is to save energy and money. Smart thermostats and air conditioners are the great examples of energy efficient appliances. These smart systems allow you to set them at your desired temperature via your mobile app or an internet-connected device. It is even possible to control them while you’re away. This way, you can lower your energy bills.
2. Making Life Easier
Nowadays, people are trying to find new ways for making their lives easier. So, this is one of the most important reasons for setting up a smart home. In a smart home, you can take advantage of smart speakers, smart irrigation controllers, multi-room audio systems, etc. For example, you can answer the door using a ring video doorbell. These appliances can make your life easier.
3. Increasing Home Security
Home security is a critical issue for every individual. Smart Home appliances help you add an extra layer of security to your home. Motion detectors, automated door locks, video doorbells, alarm systems, etc. are some of the examples of these appliances. For instance, you can monitor your house while you’re away. Besides, motion sensors can detect movements and alarm you straight away. You can also keep an eye on your children or pets through smart cameras. In other words, smart appliances can give you peace of mind and boost your home security.
4. Time Saving
As mentioned earlier, home automation systems allow you to monitor and manage your home from anywhere. For instance, you don’t need to spend most of the weekend cleaning your house witha vacuum cleaner. Instead, using robot vacuums can save you a lot of time. Home automation is also useful for people with busy work schedules. Thanks to smart homes, you can do the housework while working in your office. Therefore, you can use your time in the best way possible.
Smart Home Appliances
There are many different ways for turning your home into a smart one. The most common way is to buy smart appliances. Here, we’ve made a list of the most popular smart devices. This list will help you make your home smarter. But remember, you should do your research, identify your needs and choose your home appliances according to your requirements.
- Smart Lights: Smart lights can help you save energy and lower your electric bill. With smart lighting, you can easily establish your own automated lighting schedule.
- Smart Speakers: Amazon Echo, Google Nest Audio and Sonos One are some of the best examples of smart speakers. These smart devices are able to answer your questions and play your favorite music or playlists. They can even control other smart devices of your house.
- Smart Security Cameras: These cameras provide a high level of security due to sound detectors, IR night vision, live view, etc. Smart cameras can be controlled by voice commands.
- Smart Smoke Detectors: These devices can detect smoke and keep your home safe. In case of fire, they alert your smartphone. They also turn on your emergency light in order to help you escape from a smoke-filled house.
- Smart Irrigation: Smart irrigation systems automatically calculate water requirements according to water and soil moisture data. They can reduce water waste while providing enough water for crops.